Monday, December 17, 2012

We've Been Grinched!

As I'm sure many of us did, I went to school today with a heavy heart.  But I knew I had to be strong for my little ones... and be the caring, loving teacher that they need me to be.  I've never been happier to see my sweet, smiling first graders... I love each and every one of them.

I originally had this post planned for Friday evening, but it just didn't feel right to post about it then.  So here it is now:

Friday was Grinch Day!
When my class arrived in the morning, this is what they found:
{Inspired by THIS Grinch letter}
The Grinch!!  He replaced our spelling words with green cards saying, "Happy Grinch Day!" and wrote a note {see the markers in his hands?} to explain what was going on.  The Grinch also TP'd our closet and Christmas tree with green streamers, put our reading buddies into "Grinch Jail," and framed a picture of himself:
That's not all, of course!  Our elf, Tommy, had left us red candy canes earlier in the week.  But before we could eat them, that evil Grinch licked them, and turned them all green!
{Click HERE for the freebie Grinch tags}
My littles got a KICK out of this.  They couldn't wait to eat those candy canes!  I told them that I had a feeling they tasted like green apple... ;)

The Grinch also had a few other tricks up his sleeve {but I forgot to take pics}!  He turned all of our behavior cards to red while we were at the holiday concert.  After lunch, we found him reading How the Grinch Stole Christmas to some stuffed friends in the library.  Later, we discovered that he had left us Grinch cookies and juice to enjoy!  
It was such a fun day, and my kiddos had a BLAST!  Then this morning, we found our elf and the Grinch sharing a hug :)  So sweet:
We have a week left before Christmas break, and while we have lots of work to squeeze in, I promise to do one, big, FUN thing with my kiddos each day!  What do you have planned for this week?? :)

12 love notes:

Nicki said...

I love your Grinch ideas...I may have to borrow a few! What a great way to celebrate and I know your kiddos had a blast.

Mrs.Thigpen'sKindergarten

Tina Moricz said...

This is an awesome post. Do you think 4th graders are too big to have a Grinch day? I want to have fun like this too!

Heather Byers said...

What a wonderful day!! Love the ideas! We had a field trip today and did crafts and colored with our 4th grade buddies. Tomorrow we are making our gingerbread houses. I can't wait and neither can my kiddos. Nothing but fun things tomorrow and wedneday.

Heather
I’m having a giveaway! I’d love for you to buzz by and enter:)
The Busy Busy Hive

Heather Byers said...

I can't type apparently lol, Wednesday.

Michelle Hudgeons said...

Oh my Larry!!!! Fab!! Love it all!!

Jill said...

We had grinch day today, my favorite how to make a grinch grin " give him extra large crocs".

Thanks for the ideas I want to do the cookies next year.
Jill

Amanda said...

Today we are having a "Rudolph Day" and we are doing "Grinch Day" on Thursday. I. Can't. Wait! Then Friday we are doing Polar Express.

Kelley Dolling said...

Love this post . . . I bet your kids were smilin' from ear to ear.

Kelley Dolling
Teacher Idea Factory

Teacher Syl said...

Teri my dear, we had our Grinch Day today and boy did we have fun! Love your ideas! Sylvia

Sarah Paul said...

That looks like so much fun!
Sarah
Sarah's First Grade Snippets

Traci said...

Ok... that's it! Next year we are having a Grinch Day!

A Tale of 2 First Grades said...

There's truley not enough time in the day! Last year I did the Grinch with my class and this year it didn't happen. Your day looked like so much fun, it's a priority next year. I like the letter from the Grinch.

~Alison