Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Snowman Ornaments!

Last year, I made snowman ornaments with my class as parent gifts.  They were a huge hit among the kiddos and their families, so I decided to make 'em again! :)  I just love them, and they are so easy to make!

Here's a peek at the final product:

If you want to make these little guys, here's what you need:
*a package or two of iridescent decorating shred
{I used 1 pkg for 22 ornaments}
*hot glue
*pipe cleaners
*pom poms
*clear plastic ornaments
*Sharpie paint pens in orange & black {not shown}
*pencil {not shown}

Pull apart enough decorating shred to fill the ornament.  You will need to stuff it into the ornament using something... I used the eraser side of a pencil.  Once filled, pop the top back on the ornament.  I actually did this part for my students because it was just quicker.

Next, have your kiddos come up one-by-one or in small groups to draw a nose, eyes, and mouth onto the snowman with the Sharpie paint pens.  You can also add student names and the year to the back of the ornament.
The last step is to hot glue the earmuffs to the ornament.  This is certainly a job for you... just let your littles choose their colors!  To make the earmuffs, cut the pipe cleaner in half and glue the ends to either side of the ornament.  Then glue the poms over the ends of the pipe cleaner.

Once completed, your little snowmen will need a place to call home {aka: a gift bag}.  I picked up some snowflake cello bags from Dollar Tree and popped the ornaments inside.  Then I attached a gift tag that reads, "I love you SNOW much!"
I added this freebie tag to my Facebook page!  Just visit my page, and click on the "Fan Freebies" tab!  You will need to like my FB page in order to access the freebie! :)

I'm off to finish my Christmas shopping!  Have a great night!

25 love notes:

Miss Kindergarten said...

Snow cute!!!!

Crystal said...

Oh I Love your ornaments!! This will definitely be on my to do list for next year!! I started my Christmas vacation at 3:00pm this afternoon!! It feels so good!!!
Crystal
Ms. Jones’ Junction

Miss Sara said...

Too cute! Love the earmuffs!
Sara

Miss Elementary

Just A Primary Girl with Mrs. H said...

Such a great idea. I did it last year with my two year old when you posted. :)

Busy Bees said...

Too cute! Good luck finishing your shopping!
Robynn
BusyBees

Rachel Lamb said...

those look so good with the iridescent stuffing! So making these next year! though we finished the grinch ones today and they are to die for!

Lovely Nina said...

Love the snowmen!!

Christina Marie said...

SO CUTE! I love them!

Christina :)
Check out my blog!
Apples, Books, and Crayons
applesbooksandcrayons@gmail.com

Amy Howbert said...

Definitely doing this one next year!!! Wish I found it sooner!

Amy Howbert
Little Miss Organized
amyhowbert1@gmail.com

Rikki said...

I just went and bought all the stuff to make these tomorrow! They're so stinkin' cute. The hardest part was finding the clear bulbs. I could only find them at JoAnne's and they're tiny ones. I wish I could have found the large ones. Oh well the mini's are cute too!
☀Rikki
The Hive
I'm having a giveaway if you would like to check it out!

Michelle Hudgeons said...

Adore!!!

vicky1970 said...

Hi Teri,
Those are so super cute. Last year for the parent helpers I made something kinda similar except they were smaller and on their heads was a baby sock. It felt funny buying baby socks after all these years. :o)
Vicky
Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

Sarah Paul said...

Those are amazing! I want one for myself! :) Maybe next year I can plan ahead and make those. I bet parents LOVE them! How much time did they take? I'm also not the best with a hot glue gun. Yikes! ha, ha. I'm having issues with googledocs too. I think it has something to do with it switching to google drive? I can do it at school as long as I'm using crome, but not on my home computer (because I can't use crome on this computer). SO annoying! If you figure it out, please let me know. :)

Sarah
Sarah's First Grade Snippets

Amy Dahmke said...

These are so CUTE!!!! If I was not trapped in my house in the middle of a blizzard I would be heading to walmart to find some supplies!! Thanks for the details on how to make them!!

Amy @ www.3amcreations.blogspot.com

Angie said...

I love these SNOW much!!!!! ;) I had a big gingerbread man ornament mishap this year----I'm totally adding this to the books for next year! Gonna stock up on the after Christmas sales and hopefully remember where I put them next year!

Thanks for sharing!
Angie
Rulin' The Roost

Nicole said...

I wish I would have seen this earlier. I will have to remember this next year, thanks!

Linda P said...

I made these this year, too! The first day, the students wrote their name on the bottom of the plastic ornaments. I used a cardboard ornament box to store them in the classroom. The next day, the students drew the face with paint pens. The third day, I used "snow" to fill each ornament a third of the way, so it was more like a snowglobe. The students earned the number of scoops of snow by behavior the previous week. (Of course, I adjusted the size of my scoops so no one would know they were all the same.) Using a funnel and a stir stick from Starbucks (it has a nice round ball on the end), the students swirled and pushed the snow into the plastic ornaments. I hot glued the top on. Students selected the earmuffs and pipe cleaner (pre-cut), and I hot glued those as well. We decorated paper lunch bags as gift bags so the ornaments would be a surprise for their families. Love your tag!!

Diary Of A Savvy Teacher said...

This is just adorable!! I will have to try this next year! Love Love Love!!

Lisa Mattes said...

Absolutely adorable!!! On my list for next year for sure!!!
Growing Firsties and Teacher to the Core are co-hosting a Shout Out Linky Party starting soon!

Suzy K said...

We make these in my class too. But to let the kiddos do it all by themselves I have discovered this great new 3-in-1 glue at the craft store. It is in a clear bottle, and it is applied like regular glue from the tip. But it comes out thick and clear like hot glue. It is just as strong! This way the kids can do it themselves. I am a huge crafter and hot glue user and now I have switched to this for all my kid crafts! It is amazing. Works like hot glue but is not hot.

Miss Schinke's First Grade Blog said...

I'm in love with your blog and your ideas! I wish I would have seen this post prior to Christmas, but can't wait to make these next year. Blessings to you in the new year! I'm your newest follower.

Brittany
Keeping Up With First Grade

Jennifer Weworski said...

I loved this idea and my class had a great time making them. Instead of the cellophane shred, I used copy paper and ran it through my shredder.Worked great and the best part was that it was FREE!

Long Family said...

Thank you so much for this awesome ideA! could I please get the tags that go with it. kayla.long@usd495.net. You can share them through google drive if you would like. Thanks

Judy said...

Adorable ornament! Adding this to the list! Thanks for the directions! Can you send me the tag via email?
lifeisswt@yahoo.com

JONI SPENCER said...

I love this little saying!! My class made something similar last year but I love your little tag! Please add me to your list of people to send the tag to.
jolson@fort-dodge.k12.ia.us

THanks!
Joni