Sunday, November 11, 2012

Teaching Tip!

Happy Sunday, everyone!  Do you have off tomorrow for Veterans Day?  I do!  Sundays are much nicer when we have off on Monday, aren't they?! ;)

I have some exciting news... Today I was asked to be a bridesmaid!  I went to brunch with the newly engaged Michelle and several other fab ladies... and found this at my seat:

Of course the box was closed, but when I opened it I found a bunch of goodies and a cute poem asking me to be a part of her wedding!  Yay!  I've never been a bridesmaid before {just a bride, hehe} so I'm super excited!!


Okay, now I'm going to share a teaching tip with you!
My tip isn't new {you might have read it on my blog before} but maybe you missed it!  I'm sharing how I organize my students' table supplies:
Each table {a group of four desks} has a supply caddy in the middle.   I bought the caddies from Michael's this year because they had bright colors to match my theme.  In the past, I've gotten my caddies from Lakeshore, Harmon... wherever I happen to find them!  Anywho, here is a pic of my classroom before the students arrived in September:
You can see the caddies set up on the tables!

Each caddy has three compartments.  In the two smaller compartments there are four scissors and four glue sticks for each kiddo at the table.  I try to color coordinate the scissors {pink scissors in the pink caddy, etc.}.  I mostly use community supplies to prevent arguments like, "That's my glue!" and "Those are my scissors!"  This way, if an argument breaks out, I put a quick end to it by saying, "Actually, they're MINE! :)"

The large compartment in the caddy is for their crayon boxes:
I buy these sliders for my students each year.  As soon as my littles bring crayons to school, I have them put the crayons in the sliders and throw the crayon box in the trash.  In my experience, the cardboard crayon boxes are flimsy and only last a few days before they fall apart!  The slider pencil cases last ALL YEAR... and they're pretty, too :)

And that's all for my little tip!  Haha, I feel like this post ended abruptly.  But I hope I helped someone out there!  Be sure to check out the other tips, and if you have one of your own, link it up!! :)

17 love notes:

Miss Kindergarten said...

Love it! So organized and pretty!! Thanks for linking up! And congrats on being a bridesmaid!! I'm going to be one too!!

LYNDSEY said...

Cute! I love your classroom!!!! It is so tidy. Haha. Congrats on being a bridesmaid. It is SO MUCH FUN!

Diane R said...

Am I the only one that didn't get election day and/or Veterans' Day off?! But you are right. Sundays are much better when you don't have to go to work the next day :)

Congrats on being a bridesmaid! As someone who has done this many times, just nod your head yes and do what you're told. And just so you know, you'll never wear the dress again so get whatever she wants... ;)

Diane
Fifth in the Middle

Hilary Gard said...

Your classroom is so cool! I love the colored tile and that great wooden door! Do you teach at an older school? I love the slider idea for crayons too! Thanks for sharing!
Hilary
Second is Out of This World

Liz said...

I love the idea about the crayons! I really need to do something like that for my kiddos!
Liz
Teaching in the Valley

Stephanie Livers said...

Thanks for the tip! I have my student in rows and we have a caddy for each row but its too many students per caddy so I am ready to make changes! Have a great day off!!

Kate said...

So cute! What a creative way to ask someone to be in your wedding - sure beats the lame phone calls I always got (and made!). Jk!! :)

Thanks for sharing the pics of your room. It's adorable!


Kate
Second Grade Sparkle

Traci said...

LOVE using caddies! I just switched to caddies this year for the very first time ever since I taught Kinder. WHAT A WONDERFUL change!

I SO love your room. Congrats on being a bridesmaid!
❤Dragonflies in First ❤

Mrs. M said...

I'm still in awe of your classroom! It looks so big & roomy compared to my teeny tiny room...sigh.

Thanks for sharing the tip! I'll post mine tomorrow since I already posted today...oh' and I couldn't agree more! Sunday's are always better when we have Monday off!! :)

Happy Veteran's Day

Color Me Kinder

Mrs. McHaffie said...

I love the sliders idea. I wonder if it would work with my kindlers. Hmmm!

BTW...I am IN LOVE with your floors!!!!!!

:)
Kelly
Beg, Borrow, Steal

Mrs. Wheeler said...

I have seen those sliders and always wondered...thanks for the tip, girl!

Mrs. Wheeler’s First Grade
Mrs. Wheeler TpT

Miss T said...

Pretty!

Have fun as a bridesmaid. I was one and had a ton of fun (made the work worthwhile!) Lol.

Journey of a Substitute Teacher
Endless Pinabilities!

Heidi said...

Love the bridesmaid gift :) Being a bridesmaid is fun. Did it only once and was the only one :)
Heidi
My (Not So) Elementary Life

Mrs. Dixon said...

I'm seriously envious of your floor and built in shelves! This is a great tip, I just hate it when students fight over supplies. It's silly and a huge waste of time!

Mrs. Dixon
Teaching Special Thinkers

Mary Underwood said...

Hi Teri! I'm your newest follower! I've heard of you often and am excited to be following your blog posts! I've used table caddies in the past and really liked them. I never thought of using the sliders for their crayons! Excellent idea!

It would be awesome if you would consider following my blog: http://oceansoffuningrade1.blogspot.com.

Thanks!

Mary
maryvunderwood@gmail.com

D. Frideley said...

I like your idea of the little crayon slider boxes. I bought a bunch of them on sale at Office Depot. Next year I'll load up. I think I'll use a paint pen and give them #'s. My scissors keep disappearing! I have 60+ kids I see throughout the day. Next year I plan on putting them in baggies and only putting them out when we use them. I color coordinate as well;)

Nilima Shah said...

I am very happy that I found this site. I want to thank you for this great information!! I definitely enjoyed every bit of it and I have bookmarked your website to see the new stuff you post in the future.
Regards
Playschool Franchisee - Little Millennium