Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Melty Crayon Art & a 1500 Surpise :)

I know you've seen it all over Pinterest: melty crayon art.
I decided to give it a try today, and here's how it turned out:
I'm pretty excited about the final product!  I will quickly run through what I did.  First, gather your supplies:
{If you want to add words to your art, follow the next few steps.  If not, skip.}
Once I had my supplies, I typed my words using "word art" in a Word document.  Then I flipped the words horizontally so they printed as a mirror image:
Then I flipped the printed paper over so the words were facing the right way, with the ink side down, and I taped it to the canvas:
Next, I rolled up a paper towel, wet it, and pressed it down on the words:
I made sure to press enough to soak through the paper so that the ink would transfer onto the canvas:
I get impatient, so I didn't wait as long as I should have, and the ink was very, very light.  But it was good enough for me :)  I let the canvas dry used a blow dryer to dry the canvas and then grabbed a black paint pen {a regular Sharpie would work, too} to go over the letters:
After finishing the letters, I gathered my crayons and used hot glue to attach them to the canvas, Crayola symbol face up:
To prevent the words from getting messed up, I covered them with painter's tape.  Then I set up my work station {aka the floor} by covering it with newspaper, both against the wall and on the floor because the melty crayons will splatter:
Finally, I turned the blow dryer on and got to melting!  The crayons took no time at all to melt.  If you want a drippy look, it seriously takes like five minutes.  I went for a blended look {which does take longer} because the painter's tape didn't work as well as I wanted.  I ended up ripping it off and letting the entire canvas fill with wax.

When I had the wax blended the way I wanted, I grabbed paper towels and began to "scrub" the wax.  It gave the piece a "weathered" look AND it allowed the letters to show through the wax.  I went over the letters a second time with paint pen and added some details too:
And that's that!!  I linked this post up with Tara over at 4th Grade Frolics for her Monday Made It linky party!  I hope to keep up with this... at least every other week :)
I also linked up with Miss Nelson's linky for a chance to win an Erin Condren gift certificate!!
If you made it all the way to the end of this post, I have a little surprise for you!  I hit 1500 followers last night {WOOT!!} and I wanted to offer a little something to my fabulous friends.  Leave a comment on this post with your email address, and I'll use random number to pick a winner... The winner can choose any item from my TpT shop! :)  This mini giveaway will end tomorrow at 3pm Eastern.  Good luck!!
Congrats to Jennifer from First Grade Blue Skies!

Just 500 followers away from a big 2000 follower giveaway. ;)

117 love notes:

Miss Foote said...

Brilliant! I love that you made it for the classroom...there are so many cute ones out there that I can't decide.

Laurie
Chickadee Jubilee

Susan Moran said...

Congrats on 1500 Teri!!! You are so creative and inspiring - I always look forward to your posts!!

:)

Susan
T.G.I.F. (Thank God it's First Grade!)

Courtney Bartlett said...

I love how your crayon art turned out. It looks fabulous! Congrats on 1500!

Swimming into Second

swimmingintosecond@att.net

cmh06 said...

Love the melty crayon art.

cmhendershot@gmail.com

Allie said...

I love the crayon art you did! And how you transferred the words to the canvas using a wet towel! SO SMART!

Allie
The Gypsy Teacher
allieelliott@yahoo.com

Corinna said...

That looks so neat! I want to touch it, lol! I think my daughters would have fun making this with me:) Congrats on 1500!!

Aloha,
Corinna
Surfin' Through Second

Tania said...

Congrats on 1500!!! You are such an inspiration.
Watch out I am right behing you...with 167 followers. LOL
Tania
jknapp6@gmail.com
My Second Sense

Corinna said...

Ooops forgot my email!

corgandara@gmail.com

Corinna

Rie said...

Congrats, on 1,500 followers! I love our crayon art! I like how our put the words at the bottom.

Rie
Hip, Hop Hurray! Tales of the Reading Rascals!

Kiah said...

Love that crayon art! I've been debating on whether to try it or not, but you made it seem pretty easy!!

Congrats on 1500!!

Kiah
Kiah.m.berg@gmail.com

Katy said...

I love the crayon art! I've seen it so many times, but you made me actually want to try it. Congrats on 1500 followers!

kevans927@hotmail.com

Suzy Q said...

Great job! I'd probably end up with melted crayon all over my floor!

tokyoshoes (at) hotmail (dot) com

Michelle Hudgeons said...

I love this! I saw it on pinterest and loved it. I love how you made it fitting for the classroom! Adorable.
Michelle @ Smitten With First

ashleythurston said...

Congrats!! Love the crayon art!!!
Ashley.e.thurston@gmail.com

Stephanie said...

Most of the one's I have seen have the drippy look but I love the way the blended effect came out even better! Teach Create Inspire is the perfect saying to accompany it too. Congrats on 1500!!

❤- Stephanie
Falling Into First
Fallingintofirst@gmail.com

Kim said...

Really cute! Love the words :)


kkish1110@gmail.com

MissSmartiePants said...

Congratulations on reaching 1500!!! That's amazing! Love how your crayon art turned out too! So creative :)

Kylie (:

kylie.smith@hotmail.com.au

Mrs. Patton said...

Love it! I made one too, but it didn't turn out quite as cute as yours!

Congrats on 1500! :)

Colleen Patton
Mrs. Patton’s Patch
Colleen(dot)patton115(at)gmail(dot)com

Ms. Kennedy said...

Your crayon art looks great, hope summer is going well for you!!
kristenkennedy5@gmail.com

Rachel said...

Congratulations! Love your blog and your work!

rmariemuniz@hotmail.com

Meridith said...

Live your crayon art!

Mjhalbardier@gmail.com

Mrs. Henline said...

Your canvas is one of the best ones I have seen! Love it ;)

henline.5@osu.edu

Tara said...

I LOVE your crayon art!!!! I especially love the words you added!!! I haven't seen that:))) So super glad you linked up:))))) Please come back:) Congrats on 1500:)) tara.eiken1@gmail.com

4th Grade Frolics

Charlene Roddy said...

That is such a cute idea! Love art like this..you have inspired me this summer! I'm sure my 4 year old will have a blast melting crayons, and I can make some neat art for my classroom! :)

kachinan@hotmail.com

tracy said...

You are so creative and I love your craftivities.

tracyanderson@wcps.org

Rachel Seymour said...

Your crayon art is so cute! Love it!

Congrats on 1500 followers...amazing!

Would love to choose something from your store...love it all!

Rachel
rms273@gmail.com
A-B-Seymour

Brynne said...

Looks super simple!
brynne.zachow@gmail.com

Allyson Butler said...

This looks so great!

Angie said...

I love the art!! So simple and cute!

angiehblack@gmail.com

Miss Sara said...

congrats on 1500 followers! that's awesome! :)
Love your melted crayons art... super cute! god you're crafty!! I could never come up with that ;)

misselementary@gmail.com

Miss Elementary

Mrs. Telisak's 3rd Grade Classroom said...

I love how well your crayon art turned out! I continue to be inspired by all of you artsy teachers out there!!!
Alissa
thinkinginthirdgrade@gmail.com

Miss Nelson said...

Your crayon art is awesome. Thanks for linking up. Good Luck
missnelsonattpt@yahoo.com

Cheryl Downey said...

I really want to try this melty crayon thing now! Yours is neat!

ccaadd42@gmail.com

Cathy Irwin said...

That turned out really cute!

Cathy I.
mrsirwinsclass@gmail.com
Mrs. I's Class

Megan said...

woot woot!! 1500! My email is megan_franco@yahoo.com
Thank you for all the ideas!

Ms. King said...

Your crayon art makes me want to get started on a summer classroom project now! I love the feeling of seeing a finished product after I've put in so much time and effort :-)


thenewteachernoggin.blogspot.com
t3ach3r.king@gmail.com

Kristen said...

I have wanted to do the crayon art for a long time. Maybe I will get the gumption up and go to Michael's and buy the canvas and then hit Walmart to get some new crayons. Maybe I will make a couple - one for me, one for my daughter and one for her new teacher. We'll see how it goes!

Kristen
socalteacherstuff.blogspot.com

FirstGradeBlueSkies (Jennifer) said...

Super Duper Cute!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Vickie said...

Now I really want to make one of those!! It turned out great!
Vickie
vick727@yahoo.com

Mrs. McHaffie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M.E. Hall said...

Love seeing all the ways the melted crayon project turns out! Nicely done! I will have to make one of these eventually!

Mrs. McHaffie said...

That little craft turned out absolutely fabulous!!! Love the detailed instructions too. Makes me feel like I might be able to do it! HA

Congrats on 1500!! So exciting!

Kelly
Beg, Borrow, Steal

kellymchaffie@hotmail.com

Nicole said...

Love it Teri!! I love Tara's linky - it keeps me motivated every week! I'd love to win anything from you, talented lady!
Nicole
Rowdy in Room 300
rowdyinroom300@yahoo.com

Erica said...

Oh, please pick me! COngrats on 1500!

Erica

Sprinkles to Kindergarten

erica_crowder0612@yahoo.com

applesandabcs said...

I was wondering if that would be easy to make...
It looks so pretty! ;)

Michelle
Apples and ABC's

applesandabcs said...

I was wondering if that would be easy to make...
It looks so pretty! ;)

Michelle
Apples and ABC's

Mrs. Lundquist said...

Very cool! My daughter has been bugging me to try this... Maybe now I will! :) You have inspired me!

Penny@www.superlativescience.com

Caryl said...

Very cool looking!
Caryl
Fitzcary@gmail.com

Miss Ice said...

Congrats on 1500! I love your Made-It Monday creation. I am so inspired!

Courtney
3rd Grade Sprinkles
courtneyice1@gmail.com

Heathan said...

Loved the crayon art! Think I'll try it.
hmhanson4@gmail.com

Sarah Mackey said...

Oh I love that, I might have to give it a shot!!
sarahmackey2@yahoo.com

Miss Kindergarten said...

You are amazing and this is spectacular!!! Love you and only 2 more to go!!!!!

Jen said...

Your melty crayon art is too cute!! Congrats on all the followers! I am a new follower!
~Jen
Jen's Kinder Kids
jenskinderkids@yahoo.com

Deanna Klima said...

I love how you were able to transfer writing onto the canvas. I am going to do this project one of these days!

Congratulations on the 1500.

Deanna
ziggy92345@gmail.com

Tori said...

Cool art!! Wow, 1500! I was excited about 100 hehe :)
Tori
treb21@comcast.net

Kshee23 said...

I love the crayon art...now I can't wait to try! Congrats on 1500!

Kate
dancinqueenks23@aol.com

Alana Green said...

Love the words! I'm not at all crafty, but this is something I think even I could do!

alanangreen@yahoo.com

mfangman said...

Love your directions for the words! Adding this to my summer vaca 'to do' list!
mfangman@bethelsd.org

April Kreitzer Wolfe said...

Looks great!! Good job!!

April
Wolfelicious

Elisabeth said...

That is the cutest project ever! Love it! Congrats on 1500 followers! How exciting! :)

Elisabeth
edelk@allonselementary.com

Heather said...

Cute sign!!

Heather (heathernnance@yahoo.com)

Charlene said...

Thanks for the step by step instructions--I can't wait to try this myself. SO cute!

Charlene
charlene@sinquefield.com

I'm Sara said...

I love your melter crayon art! My old roommate made one and you are right.. it goes EVERYWHERE! We have crayon "art" on our hardwood floors... oops :]

Congrats on the 1500 followers!

Sara
ventrellasara@gmail.com
Miss V's Busy Bees

Wendy said...

Congrats on 1500 followers! Thanks for sharing all of your creative ideas!

Wendy
onehappyteacher26@gmail.com
http://1happyteacher.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

Love your project! Great idea to add the words.

Rachel.turnage14@gmail.com

kellydeannab said...

Congratulations on reaching 1500 follower :) I really enjoy following your blog.
Kelly
kellydeannab@hotmail.com

Mrs. Phillips said...

I love your blog and products !
Lindsey
lmburto@gmail.com

Cindy said...

Congrats on 1500 followers!! That's a BIG number!! :o)

Cindy
ccfirstteacher@gmail.com

Andrea said...

Congrats on reaching 1500 followers! How exciting.. I love your blog and I hope I am the lucky winner :)

mondragondrea@gmail.com

melanie322 said...

Congratulations on reaching 1500 followers!

Melanie
melanie322@yahoo.com

lorajoelle said...

Love the blog! Congrats on all those followers!

Lora
lorajwebster@gmail.com

Karyn said...

Terri this looks beautiful!!!! Contacts on 1500 that's quite an accomplishment! :-)

Karyn
Aisforapplebisforblog.blogspot.com
Kideducator@comcast.net

Natalie said...

Yay for great minds! It turned out great :)

Congrats on 1500! I am struggling to get to 300 :( If only I was uber creative like you... :)

Natalie
TeacheryTidbits

clove said...

I have just recently found your blog. I love it! I love sharing all your creative ideas with my kiddos! Congratulations on all the followers!

loularkin said...

Congratulations on 1500 followers!
Jennifer
loularkin@comcast.net

Just Wild About Teaching said...

Congrats on 1500 love the art!

sarah said...

Congrats! Love your art project!

mcreynolds.sarah@gmail.com

ktclod said...

Nice work! I am tackling some pinterest projects as well...congrats! I just became a follower. kprobst3@yahoo.com

Heather said...

I love that you added words to the canvas - I just may have to make one! Congratulations on 1500 followers! Stop on by to see my new blog if you get a minute!!
Heather
kearnshf@gmail.com
Kickin' it in Kinder

Rikki said...

I just found your blog. I'm your newest follower. You have great ideas!!
Rikki
Hive2nd.blogspot.com

Jill said...

I really like your blended look. It is beautiful!

Marvelous Multiagers!

Katie said...

AH! Make me one... j/k, but not really. hahaha I love yours!!!!

Katie
Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

Primary Possibilities said...

That looks cute!

Congrats on 1500!

dillons@vcsc.k12.in.us

Stephany
primarypossibilities.blogspot.com

kimcollatos said...

I love love love the transfer writing on this. I am definitely going to make this for my room :) Thanks for sharing! Congrats on 1500!!

kimberlycollatos@comcast.net

Jay Pea said...

Congrats on 1500.....wow! You make that crayon art look easy!! Super wow! :)
Jana
jprowell11@gmail.com

Sherry said...

I got a picture done with the melted crayons from a student for Christmas this year. Wondered how it was done. Nice job thanks for the directions.
Sherry

Storie said...

Congrats on 1500 followers. I'm still working towards 100! I have been tempted to try this project out. You make it look so easy :)
Storie
atozscrapbook@gmail.com
Stories by Storie

Jennifer said...

Congrats on 1500!! I LOVE your crayon art!!

Jennifer
jenniferlalsip(at)yahoo(dot)com
The First Grade Dream

Jennifer K. said...

I love the blended look! How did you do it? DId you melt the whole crayon or just point the hairdresser at the tips? Please give more info - I am hopeless with crafts but I really love that look! Oh and congrats on 1500!!


Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten
ingen77@yahoo.com

Mrs Diane said...

Congratulations on 1500 followers!!

dianebode@mediacombb.net

Miss Hayley Martin said...

Congratulations!!

hayleymareemartin@gmail.com

Lovely Nina said...

Your crayon art came out really cute and easy to do :)
Thanks for the step by step directions!
Nblovely7@gmail.com

Miss Evans said...

The crayon art piece you created was neat. Thanks for sharing.
Congraulations on reaching 1500 followers. Love your thoughts and ideas.

Jodi
junebutterfly78@yahoo.com

Eileen Griffin said...

What a great piece of art! Congrats on hitting 1500 followers!
eileengriffin14@gmail.com
Second Grade Sunshine

Jenn Long said...

Congrats on all of your followers! I love your crayon art too...I think I just might have to try that this summer!

A Pirates Life for Us

Oh! My email is jennlong1@me.com

Momof3 said...

Congrats to you.... I LOVE the crayon art. For sure going on my to do list....

Keep up the good work..
Vanessa.willis@rpsb.us

Kimberley said...

So cool! Love it.

✰ Kimberley ✰
First in Maine

Kimberly Santana said...

I've seen the melty crayon all over pinterest, but I love the word detail and that it's blended- talk about precious!?! Congrats on the 1500 girl- so excited for you :)

Kimberly
The Learning Tree

KatieD10 said...

Congratulations! I love the crayon art. Kinda surprised it worked. :)

Katie
Katie.deakins@gmail.com

Heather said...

Love this idea!! So cute! I just added it to my already long list.

Heather
The Busy Busy Hive

Christy said...

Adorable!! Love the art and your blog!

Christy
mom3wheeler@att.net

Mrs. Lirette said...

Love the crayon art! Your blog rocks! :)

Mary
mary.lirette@yahoo.com
Mrs. Lirette's Learning Detectives

Kristie Chavis said...

love love love your blog! Please check out mine. :) I'm new to this!
www.learningwithmrschavis.blogspot.com

Krysti said...

Love the crayon art...I will be attempting it this summer! Congrats on 1500 - I appreciate all the inspiration I get when I visit your blog!

krmart1@hotmail.com

Jenn Bates said...

Your crayon art came out great! Congrats on 1500 followers.
Jenn
Finally in First
jenn@finallyinfirst.com

Yukari said...

Congrats on 1500 followers!
I've been following you since last November and absolutely LOVE everything you do! Looking forward to everything you have planned in the future :)

yukarinaka@gmail.com

Anna said...

Congratulations on 1500 followers! I've followed you from the beginning! I love all your stuff. Keep up the GREAT work!

wakefield_anna@yahoo.com

Anna said...

Congratulations on 1500 followers! I've followed you from the beginning! I love all your stuff. Keep up the GREAT work!

wakefield_anna@yahoo.com

Andrea said...

Congrats on 1500 followers! I love the crayon artwork.

andrea_newkirk@att.net

graciegirl said...

Thanks for the detailed tutorial on this awesome artwork! I'm doing this one for sure! And thanks for the giveaway! Hope I win!
grace2u {at} rogers {dot} com

Doubly Blessed said...

Great job!
leahhaney@gmail.com

Sara said...

I LOVE everything you do:)! <3

~Sara
Sweetsarabowling@gmail.com

Stephanie said...

Love the crayon project!!! My kids will love to try that one out at home this summer!

slindway@hotmail.com

Traci said...

Gorgeous!
❤Dragonflies in First ❤

Amy Baker said...

CUTE project!!!!! Congrays on having 1500 followers...of which I belong! ;-) My email is mrsbunchbaker@gmail.com . Thanks!

Nicole Hagner said...

Congrats on 1500!! Pick me, pick me!!
nhagner@charter.net

I absolutely LOVE your blog!

Kristi said...

So glad I found your site. Thanks for sharing. I am your newest follower. If you get a chance head over and check out my new blog. Thanks!

Learnings a Hoot